Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Canadian rugby

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Re: Canadian rugby

Postby ruckovercdn » Tue, 12 Feb 2019, 05:28

There was something about two competing bids that MLr wants to play nice with each other. One from a Seatle based ownership group the other ran by BCRU.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Tue, 12 Feb 2019, 06:59

ruckovercdn wrote:There was something about two competing bids that MLr wants to play nice with each other. One from a Seatle based ownership group the other ran by BCRU.

Sadly, last I was told from a couple of guys who tend to have better information than most both of those bids have fallen by the wayside and there's no real activity in BC at present on the MLR front. This was around Sept. last year so hopefully things have changed since then. But yeah, Canada needs a second MLR squad a fairly quickly at that. I personally think Victoria offers an interesting option if no one in the Vancouver area can offer an alternative. Yes, it is a relatively small population base but I think that could be worked to its advantage.

Westhills is also being redeveloped to an 8k all seater which would be absolutely perfect for MLR.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby ruckovercdn » Tue, 12 Feb 2019, 12:48

Working Class Rugger wrote:
ruckovercdn wrote:There was something about two competing bids that MLr wants to play nice with each other. One from a Seatle based ownership group the other ran by BCRU.

Sadly, last I was told from a couple of guys who tend to have better information than most both of those bids have fallen by the wayside and there's no real activity in BC at present on the MLR front. This was around Sept. last year so hopefully things have changed since then. But yeah, Canada needs a second MLR squad a fairly quickly at that. I personally think Victoria offers an interesting option if no one in the Vancouver area can offer an alternative. Yes, it is a relatively small population base but I think that could be worked to its advantage.

Westhills is also being redeveloped to an 8k all seater which would be absolutely perfect for MLR.

Building an 8k in Langford when theres a 5k and a 3k that can be expanded to 10k already in Victoria, great financial sense Rugby Canada.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Tue, 12 Feb 2019, 14:55

ruckovercdn wrote:

Building an 8k in Langford when theres a 5k and a 3k that can be expanded to 10k already in Victoria, great financial sense Rugby Canada.

It's not RC that's building it. Pacific FC who will play in the CPL are the group behind it.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby snapper37 » Tue, 12 Feb 2019, 18:55

GentsRugger wrote:
Grayday88 wrote:I have to say watching this hammers home the fact that Canada needs a 2nd MLR team and soon

Yup, Canada needs a 2nd MLR team badly. I wonder when they're going to get their act together out there in BC, they're apparently the rugby hotbed of Canada yet nothing but crickets from BC about an MLR team.

Fair comment but i don't want the BCRU to have anything to do with a team. The Bcru should concentrate on recreational rugby and let the an outside organization put the money up for a professional team. Maybe we should do wha the Green Bay Packers do. No owners just share holders.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby LittleGuy » Sat, 23 Feb 2019, 03:06

Ugghhhh Rees on commentary.

Looks like the riot act was read to the boys in the last two weeks and the new blood is having an impact. Canada all over Chile right now. 24-0 not even 20 minutes in.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby TheStroBro » Sat, 23 Feb 2019, 03:43

Chile is pretty awful though.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby LittleGuy » Sat, 23 Feb 2019, 03:54

TheStroBro wrote:Chile is pretty awful though.

Yes they've been pretty dire, the scoreline padding has slowed up a little though with Chile slowing the game down a bit, can't believe they didn't come away with points while they were that deep in Canada's territory.

Still Canada have been ten times better than they were last week. Just the energy levels and passion are higher.

31-0 at half.

Complete rout, 56-0 final, Chile were terrible but Canada were fairly ruthless and the heart and passion that was absent last week returned. Not sure how much we can take from this, but at this point anything positive is good news.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby snapper37 » Sat, 23 Feb 2019, 18:33

Its hard to say how good we were as Chile showed why they are the developing lowest ranked team in the group. The only part i liked was the goal line defensive stand in the 2nd half and the 1/2 back who came off the bench (his pass was quick and straight from the ground and the sped up when he came on.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Canadaman » Sat, 23 Feb 2019, 20:33

That was Will Percillier he is at Stade Francais Academy, I have been told by a few guys that they think he will be our best 9 ever.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby snapper37 » Sun, 24 Feb 2019, 00:49

Canadaman wrote:That was Will Percillier he is at Stade Francais Academy, I have been told by a few guys that they think he will be our best 9 ever.

Tough to beat Morgan Williams..

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Canadaman » Sun, 24 Feb 2019, 15:56

It is a big call. Some say he is already the best 9 in our squad. We'll see. Those that have told me are people in the know and who also know MW personally.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby snapper37 » Sun, 24 Feb 2019, 18:22

Canadaman wrote:It is a big call. Some say he is already the best 9 in our squad. We'll see. Those that have told me are people in the know and who also know MW personally.

I'll say i like what i saw, and he may be the replacement we've been looking for. What we need now is a front row with Rod Snow type qualities.

Postby 4N » Sun, 24 Feb 2019, 18:37

snapper37 wrote:What we need now is a front row with Rod Snow type qualities.

Another Snow or Tkachuk would do Canada a lot of good right now. But I could say the same for the US at prop. It’s a matter of not attracting the right athletes. Guys who are powerful and under 6 foot have trouble making it to pro level in football but it’s an ideal build for the front row. I look at guys like Taufete’e or Ainu’u for the US and even the Kiwi tighthead for the Arrows. There are lots of potential props out there with the ability to be pro rugby players but they need to know the sport exists. Both RC and USAR should hold specific front row combines to attract under-23 crossovers.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Canadian_Rugger » Mon, 25 Feb 2019, 00:25

Sonny-Bill Williams to Toronto Wolfpack post 2019 WC? Reportedly offered a 1 year $5 million dollar contract.

https://www.thestar.com/sports/2019/02/22/toronto-wolfpack-after-sonny-bill-williams-or-another-top-five-world-rugby-talent.html

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby grande » Mon, 25 Feb 2019, 14:39

Evan Olmstead is back with Newcastle.

https://www.newcastlefalcons.co.uk/news ... -newcastle

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby snapper37 » Mon, 25 Feb 2019, 16:34

Canadian_Rugger wrote:Sonny-Bill Williams to Toronto Wolfpack post 2019 WC? Reportedly offered a 1 year $5 million dollar contract.

https://www.thestar.com/sports/2019/02/22/toronto-wolfpack-after-sonny-bill-williams-or-another-top-five-world-rugby-talent.html

Click bait. Do you think Sonny will play for a team that reportedly has trouble playing its players? I give them this season and then they will move to England. (Wolfpack has bought a minority stake in the third-tier London Skolars)

I found this online.
https://www.princegeorgecitizen.com/tor ... 1.23579992

Postby 4N » Wed, 20 Mar 2019, 18:57

Hemel Stags are moving to Ottawa and will reportedly play at TD Place.

https://mobile.twitter.com/M_Shaw1/stat ... 4408179714

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby jonny24 » Wed, 20 Mar 2019, 21:12

4N wrote:Hemel Stags are moving to Ottawa and will reportedly play at TD Place.

https://mobile.twitter.com/M_Shaw1/stat ... 4408179714

How reliable is that source? Is there anything from sources in Ottawa?
Norfolk Harvesters RFC 10-0-0 NRU "B" Division Champions

Postby 4N » Wed, 20 Mar 2019, 21:19

I don’t know about sources from Ottawa but here is the full interview with Eric Perez.

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/r ... es-2668724

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby marvinparsons » Wed, 20 Mar 2019, 21:53

As an Ottawa native, this is so bizarre. We had a single rugby league team like 6 years ago for a few seasons, but it was basically just a vanity thing for a few guys that wanted to play on the national team but couldn't make it in union.

Rugby union in Ottawa is in terrible shape these days. I can't see how introducing league will get a lot of fans - it's just strange more than anything. It's like having a pro AFL team.

Ottawa is known to be a tough sports town too. We lost our pro minor league baseball team, basketball, lacross, CFL (now back) and even the NHL team is in rough shape.

Canada games get like 3000 people, but every person with a rugby connection is at the game from here and afar and it is only once every couple years.

All that said if there was decent rugby, even league, I guess I'd go to some games. But I'm not exactly representative.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Wed, 20 Mar 2019, 22:08

marvinparsons wrote:As an Ottawa native, this is so bizarre. We had a single rugby league team like 6 years ago for a few seasons, but it was basically just a vanity thing for a few guys that wanted to play on the national team but couldn't make it in union.

Rugby union in Ottawa is in terrible shape these days. I can't see how introducing league will get a lot of fans - it's just strange more than anything. It's like having a pro AFL team.

Ottawa is known to be a tough sports town too. We lost our pro minor league baseball team, basketball, lacross, CFL (now back) and even the NHL team is in rough shape.

Canada games get like 3000 people, but every person with a rugby connection is at the game from here and afar and it is only once every couple years.

All that said if there was decent rugby, even league, I guess I'd go to some games. But I'm not exactly representative.

And this is exactly what this will be. Especially if from the little I have heard happens and the SL clubs effectively gain control of the SL. They aren't terribly keen on the Wolfpack entering so I doubt they'll be open to Ottawa.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Canadian_Rugger » Thu, 21 Mar 2019, 02:11

marvinparsons wrote:As an Ottawa native, this is so bizarre. We had a single rugby league team like 6 years ago for a few seasons, but it was basically just a vanity thing for a few guys that wanted to play on the national team but couldn't make it in union.

And this is exactly what this will be. Especially if from the little I have heard happens and the SL clubs effectively gain control of the SL. They aren't terribly keen on the Wolfpack entering so I doubt they'll be open to Ottawa.

Thia isn't true at all, the SL clubs want Toronto, they also want Toulouse and London. They want to end promotion and relegation and replace it with a franchised league equivalent to the NRL of the NH. They are unable to because clubs in the 2nd and 3rd Division won't let them. Sky Sports who underwrite Super League are airing all TWP games this year. TWP is the only Championship side with their own TV deal.

Perez isn't targeting traditional rugby fans with this move. He is targeting young families, hipsters, tourists and big business which is exactly what Toronto Wolfpack do. Go to a TWP game, almost no actual rugby players there but there are plenty of people looking for an afternoon of cheap entertainment and beer. Ottawa and TD Stadium is the perfect place for this. OSEG runs three successful sporting franchises, Ottawa Red Blacks, Ottawa Fury and Ottawa 67's. All three franchises cater to the exact same crowd that TWP cater to.

Heck, the Glebe where TD Stadium is, is basically a carbon copy of liberty village. A posh neighborhood with a bunch of nice cafes, restaurants and upscale apartments and houses.

This isn't about the sport of Rugby in either code. It's about rich businessmen putting a product on TV that people want to watch and making money off of it. Sort of like you know, the NFL, UFC, NHL, etc.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby marvinparsons » Thu, 21 Mar 2019, 14:45

If it succeeds then great, but you have to admit it is biazrre to have a pro sports team in a location where literally not one single sole person plays the sport. I can't think of another example aside from the TWP.

Ottawa doesn't have many hipsters or big business. It's mostly cheap conservative civil servants. The stadium is in a great location though and the guy seems willing to eat losses so maybe they'll stick around. He has done about as good a job with TWP as possible, much better than the Arrows (so far).

It's still bizarre though. If you told me 10 years ago Ottawa would have a pro league team I'd laugh in your face. We don't even have pro baseball or basketball which are more mainstream by a mile.

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby sk 88 » Thu, 21 Mar 2019, 20:53

Canadian_Rugger wrote:

Thia isn't true at all, the SL clubs want Toronto, they also want Toulouse and London. They want to end promotion and relegation and replace it with a franchised league equivalent to the NRL of the NH. They are unable to because clubs in the 2nd and 3rd Division won't let them. Sky Sports who underwrite Super League are airing all TWP games this year. TWP is the only Championship side with their own TV deal.

Perez isn't targeting traditional rugby fans with this move. He is targeting young families, hipsters, tourists and big business which is exactly what Toronto Wolfpack do. Go to a TWP game, almost no actual rugby players there but there are plenty of people looking for an afternoon of cheap entertainment and beer. Ottawa and TD Stadium is the perfect place for this. OSEG runs three successful sporting franchises, Ottawa Red Blacks, Ottawa Fury and Ottawa 67's. All three franchises cater to the exact same crowd that TWP cater to.

Heck, the Glebe where TD Stadium is, is basically a carbon copy of liberty village. A posh neighborhood with a bunch of nice cafes, restaurants and upscale apartments and houses.

This isn't about the sport of Rugby in either code. It's about rich businessmen putting a product on TV that people want to watch and making money off of it. Sort of like you know, the NFL, UFC, NHL, etc.

I'm fairly sure if another club filmed all their games in HD with multiple cameras and proper production and gave it to them for free they would do the same.

Ottawa is a good location for a second team though, you need that rivalry with Toronto that should benefit both teams.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum