Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Canadian rugby

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Re: Canadian rugby

Postby ruckovercdn » Tue, 12 Feb 2019, 05:28

There was something about two competing bids that MLr wants to play nice with each other. One from a Seatle based ownership group the other ran by BCRU.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Tue, 12 Feb 2019, 06:59

ruckovercdn wrote:There was something about two competing bids that MLr wants to play nice with each other. One from a Seatle based ownership group the other ran by BCRU.

Sadly, last I was told from a couple of guys who tend to have better information than most both of those bids have fallen by the wayside and there's no real activity in BC at present on the MLR front. This was around Sept. last year so hopefully things have changed since then. But yeah, Canada needs a second MLR squad a fairly quickly at that. I personally think Victoria offers an interesting option if no one in the Vancouver area can offer an alternative. Yes, it is a relatively small population base but I think that could be worked to its advantage.

Westhills is also being redeveloped to an 8k all seater which would be absolutely perfect for MLR.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby ruckovercdn » Tue, 12 Feb 2019, 12:48

Working Class Rugger wrote:
ruckovercdn wrote:There was something about two competing bids that MLr wants to play nice with each other. One from a Seatle based ownership group the other ran by BCRU.

Sadly, last I was told from a couple of guys who tend to have better information than most both of those bids have fallen by the wayside and there's no real activity in BC at present on the MLR front. This was around Sept. last year so hopefully things have changed since then. But yeah, Canada needs a second MLR squad a fairly quickly at that. I personally think Victoria offers an interesting option if no one in the Vancouver area can offer an alternative. Yes, it is a relatively small population base but I think that could be worked to its advantage.

Westhills is also being redeveloped to an 8k all seater which would be absolutely perfect for MLR.

Building an 8k in Langford when theres a 5k and a 3k that can be expanded to 10k already in Victoria, great financial sense Rugby Canada.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Tue, 12 Feb 2019, 14:55

ruckovercdn wrote:
Working Class Rugger wrote:

Building an 8k in Langford when theres a 5k and a 3k that can be expanded to 10k already in Victoria, great financial sense Rugby Canada.

It's not RC that's building it. Pacific FC who will play in the CPL are the group behind it.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby snapper37 » Tue, 12 Feb 2019, 18:55

GentsRugger wrote:
Grayday88 wrote:I have to say watching this hammers home the fact that Canada needs a 2nd MLR team and soon

Yup, Canada needs a 2nd MLR team badly. I wonder when they're going to get their act together out there in BC, they're apparently the rugby hotbed of Canada yet nothing but crickets from BC about an MLR team.

Fair comment but i don't want the BCRU to have anything to do with a team. The Bcru should concentrate on recreational rugby and let the an outside organization put the money up for a professional team. Maybe we should do wha the Green Bay Packers do. No owners just share holders.

Previous

Return to Rugby Forum