Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Womens 7's rugby - general news

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Re: Womens 7's rugby - general news

Postby Armchair Fan » Sun, 21 Jul 2019, 12:53

Sorry to continue with the off topic, but Catalina watch out your basketball youngsters. Your (this year's) U20 girls have been magnificent for the last few championships from their generation, so it should become more popular in the coming years with better senior results.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Sun, 21 Jul 2019, 15:32

Of course my calculations were wrong: I thought that with an ex aequo in the general chart Russia would have won the European crown because of a better points difference respect to France, but I see that french players are exhultating despite the loss in the final game (5-12), so they must be the general winners

Armchair Fan wrote:Sorry to continue with the off topic, but Catalina watch out your basketball youngsters. Your (this year's) U20 girls have been magnificent for the last few championships from their generation, so it should become more popular in the coming years with better senior results.

I lose already too much time following rugby, I try to ignore the other sports except alpine ski and maybe cycling :)

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Sun, 21 Jul 2019, 17:52

The Euro crown was indeed won by Russia. I hope the moment they discover it was not too harsh for the french players

National Flag:
UgandaUganda

Postby ugrugbychiclet » Sun, 21 Jul 2019, 17:57

Canalina wrote:I was surprised to see yesterday the image of a square in London full of people (mostly women or family) watching on a big screen the Netball World Championship. I didn't know it was so popular in England. Here in Italy netball doesn't exist and women basketball is few popular.

Back in Kharkiv: Poland, Scotland and Belgium go to HK.
Italy unfortunately out, after two narrow losses versus Poland and Scotland.
France v Russia will be again the final. For the stage cup and the general crown

Hong Kong are unlikely to host the next women's series qualifier because with them hosting a women's leg of the series they will be unable to have all those tournaments at one place. So either the men's and women's qualifiers will be hosted somewhere else or just the women's qualifiers will be hosted elsewhere.

National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Postby NedRugby » Sun, 21 Jul 2019, 19:04

Canalina wrote:The Euro crown was indeed won by Russia. I hope the moment they discover it was not too harsh for the french players

I had exactly the same process as you. I thought Russia had won because of better global points difference over the two legs, then saw France celebrating despite losing the final, so I assumed the head-to-head results counted. Where did you find the image you posted? If someone like me who uses the RE website regularly can't find such an important piece of information then either I am more stupid than I realise or the website needs improving. Also it should be crystal clear before the match how it is decided in the case of a tie. The management of both teams should have been told and not left to guess on the basis of an obscure line somewhere in a 90 page document which refers to resolving differences in the same way as the World Series.

National Flag:
PolandPoland

Postby rey200 » Sun, 21 Jul 2019, 19:46

ah yes, there's a HK women's event now... will Poland get a shot at the European event in the world series? That would be amazing and in the same time frightening.
Ceterum censeo Sex Nationes esse augendas.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Sun, 21 Jul 2019, 20:42

NedRugby wrote:Where did you find the image you posted? If someone like me who uses the RE website regularly can't find such an important piece of information then either I am more stupid than I realise or the website needs improving.

On facebook; I like facebook
https://www.facebook.com/rugbyeurope/

RE website seems indeed slowly and rarely updated in the news section, but in the whole they are doing a good job in my opinion: the scores come in the website with good speed, the streaming videos have a good quality (much better than the one purposed yesterday by Rugby Americas North), news and photos pop up with regularity on facebook and twitter, you may find match sheets for every XV game and (I learnt yesterday from FR) there's a website section with downloadable competition manuals.
The weak point on Rugby Europe is that they are not able to give popularity to their competitions. I think to have seen like twenty-five spectators in the stand today during the bronze final Ireland-Italy in Lodz... But who knows how to reach that popularity?

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Tue, 23 Jul 2019, 13:48

Euro 7s U18 for girls disappeared from Rugby Europe website

I'm almost sure it was there few months ago, even if I can't remember which was the hosting city/nation.
The boys Euro 7s, to be played in august in Gdansk, is still there

See "competitions" column, or the calendar section
https://www.rugbyeurope.eu

PS: no, now it's there... Or I had a mirage or for some reasons it was disappeared few minutes ago when I checked.
And now it is present also in the calendar section. It will be played at the beginning of september in Jarocin, Poland
https://www.rugbyeurope.eu/competitions ... ampionship
Last edited by Canalina on Tue, 23 Jul 2019, 13:51, edited 1 time in total.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Tue, 23 Jul 2019, 13:49

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Tue, 23 Jul 2019, 13:53

I can swear it was not there : )

Postby FLIDTA RISXVA » Tue, 23 Jul 2019, 17:21

This would have been a prank of mischievous webadmin ...
Was he | she moving a section and made it invisible for 10 minutes?

:::

In good old times iRB admin used to fool too naive GEO web-media:
GEO disappeared several times from Rankings during Monday updates

One scandalous site alarmed the fandom that GEO was dropped
from iRB membership and even demanded explanation from the Union

The Union replied in kind that
both the iRB and the alarmist site were simply ... dix

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Tue, 23 Jul 2019, 18:32

FLIDTA RISXVA wrote:This would have been a prank of mischievous webadmin ...
Was he | she moving a section and made it invisible for 10 minutes?

Could be something like that. Or I could have mis-watched... But I'm pretty sure to have seen just well. Ok, no problem

About Kharkiv 7s, I've seen on facebook nice images of the russian girls welcomed at the train station and it came to my mind that it was an unusual image. Because of the flowers? No, because of the train. No one team usually moves on train, I wonder why. I also wonder if it was a train transporting the players from the airport to the centre of Moscow or if they made all the voyage by train. It takes 12 hours and a half, according to google maps
https://www.facebook.com/RussianRugby/p ... =3&theater

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Tue, 23 Jul 2019, 22:50

Canalina, the train is a venerated figure in Russia both because it was what connected remote villages and cities to 'civilisation' and because some still think planes are unreliable and roads are dangerous.

I haven't hidden in this forum that my partner is Russian and in spite of a plane route linking Moscow to her region in less than two hours, she forced me to take a train for 22 hours. Well, in fact even her mother called me in spite of nobody properly speaking each other's language only to convince me not to take the plane. It's an integral part of their culture, they've got their rituals onboard, you share cabins with strangers, people bring their food, stop in different stations to smoke, or take a coffee, or just take some fresh air (especially if it's -20ºC...).

Just think about how popular Lokomotiv is as a sport club name or the number of stadiums that are located near train stations. And don't forget that RZD, Russian Railways, are a sponsor of Rugby Union of Russian since last year.

P.S: trust me, that's a rather modern and fast train
P.S 2: sorry to Russian members of this forum if I said anything offensive, it was just a curious experience
P.S 3: sorry for the off topic, but it was necessary to explain why photos aren't so bizarre

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Wed, 24 Jul 2019, 06:05

Thank you Armchair. Of course I've put your explanation in a facebook post

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php? ... 2357351850

National Flag:
UgandaUganda

Postby ugrugbychiclet » Wed, 24 Jul 2019, 14:18

Armchair Fan wrote:Canalina, the train is a venerated figure in Russia both because it was what connected remote villages and cities to 'civilisation' and because some still think planes are unreliable and roads are dangerous.

I haven't hidden in this forum that my partner is Russian and in spite of a plane route linking Moscow to her region in less than two hours, she forced me to take a train for 22 hours. Well, in fact even her mother called me in spite of nobody properly speaking each other's language only to convince me not to take the plane. It's an integral part of their culture, they've got their rituals onboard, you share cabins with strangers, people bring their food, stop in different stations to smoke, or take a coffee, or just take some fresh air (especially if it's -20ºC...).

Just think about how popular Lokomotiv is as a sport club name or the number of stadiums that are located near train stations. And don't forget that RZD, Russian Railways, are a sponsor of Rugby Union of Russian since last year.

P.S: trust me, that's a rather modern and fast train
P.S 2: sorry to Russian members of this forum if I said anything offensive, it was just a curious experience
P.S 3: sorry for the off topic, but it was necessary to explain why photos aren't so bizarre

This is a great story! 8-)

Postby FLIDTA RISXVA » Thu, 25 Jul 2019, 08:16

WATCH this as *icing on the cake* (1982 end of Brejneff era)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3g-p1d8H02o

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Thu, 25 Jul 2019, 10:15

It doesn't seem a 1982 movie, at least in the first sequences. The quality of the images, the movement of the camera... I thought it was a nowadays movie. Anyway I can't understand russian so I watched just the beginning minutes

Postby FLIDTA RISXVA » Thu, 25 Jul 2019, 10:38

It is classic RYAZANOFF

I've seen it as student when LOVA was still alive

START watching after initial prison scenes and CAPTIONS = who playes whom, who is producer etc etc

YOU WILL HAVE SEEN all the aspects of a TRAIN and RAILWAY STATION

The film name is RAILWAY STATION FOR THE TWO (man + lady)

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Thu, 25 Jul 2019, 17:45

So when the 2019-20 Womens Sevens Series starts? I heard the USA leg will be in September or October... any information?
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby Thomas » Fri, 26 Jul 2019, 19:13

Results Day 1 of Panamerican Games

Womens Matches

Colombia 24 - 14 Argentina
USA 55 - 0 Trinidad and Tobago
Brazil 33 - 5 Peru
Canada 54 - 0 Mexico

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Fri, 26 Jul 2019, 19:34

101st victory for Brazil against South American teams in official tournaments. Still zero defeats.

National Flag:

Postby Thomas » Fri, 26 Jul 2019, 19:49

victorsra wrote:101st victory for Brazil against South American teams in official tournaments. Still zero defeats.

I feel is going to be a repeat of 2015 same teams, in which medal order is the question

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sat, 27 Jul 2019, 13:29

For sure.

National Flag:

Postby Thomas » Sat, 27 Jul 2019, 17:15

Results Day 2 of Panamerican Games

Womens Matches