Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

2019 Rugby World Cup TV broadcasting

National Flag:
WalesWales

2019 Rugby World Cup TV broadcasting

Postby JamesWales » Tue, 14 May 2019, 14:41

Hi,

I’m interested to try and compile some information on TV broadcasrs in different countries for the forthcoming World Cup.

What channels, are these free-to-air, can you typically watch them in pubs and bars, what kind of TV viewing figures have been recorded before etc.

I’ll start: Wales /UK – all matches will be free to air on either ITV3, (which is the third channel on almost every TV in the country) or on ITV4, which again, nearly every home will have, but is a bit more niche https://www.itv.com/news/2017-02-05/itv ... orld-cups/.

Based on the last World Cup, around two thirds of the games will be on ITV3 and around a third on ITV4. All home nation games will be on in almost every pub in the country. For the smaller games, most pubs will show the games, or put it on. It’s a pretty big deal. Less so this year, because of morning kick offs, but pubs will do breakfast & beer deals, and many pubs will still be packed.

TV ratings will typically hit 10,000,000+ for the biggest games, which excludes audiences in pubs/bars. A world cup final involving England would probably hit nearly 20 million people.

In Wales, we also have a small Welsh Language station called S4C who also broadcast Wales games in Welsh. Viewing figures may be around 50,000, but bear in mind all Wales games will also be in English on ITV. Some pubs and bars will have the Welsh language channel on, depending on demand, but English is generally shown. Total TV figures for Wales games in Wales normally exceed 1m people.
http://www.s4c.cymru/en/press/post/3128 ... lsh-sport/

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: 2019 Rugby World Cup TV broadcasting

Postby Tobar » Tue, 14 May 2019, 15:50

All matches in the US will be on NBC Sports. Given the very odd timing (almost all games are between 2am and 7am Eastern Time), I don't know how many games will be on NBC Sports linear channel. My guess is that they will likely have repeats of some games later on in the day which is fine because the games are on so early anyway.

They're really pushing their NBC Sports Gold RWC package. They haven't announced pricing but their standard NBC Sports Gold package is $60 for the full year. I'm guessing it will be around the same price for the RWC package.

https://www.nbcsports.com/gold/rugby-world-cup

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby dwpeate » Tue, 14 May 2019, 18:12

JamesWales wrote:Hi,

I’m interested to try and compile some information on TV broadcasrs in different countries for the forthcoming World Cup.

What channels, are these free-to-air, can you typically watch them in pubs and bars, what kind of TV viewing figures have been recorded before etc.

I’ll start: Wales /UK – all matches will be free to air on either ITV3, (which is the third channel on almost every TV in the country) or on ITV4, which again, nearly every home will have, but is a bit more niche https://www.itv.com/news/2017-02-05/itv ... orld-cups/.

Based on the last World Cup, around two thirds of the games will be on ITV3 and around a third on ITV4. All home nation games will be on in almost every pub in the country. For the smaller games, most pubs will show the games, or put it on. It’s a pretty big deal. Less so this year, because of morning kick offs, but pubs will do breakfast & beer deals, and many pubs will still be packed.

TV ratings will typically hit 10,000,000+ for the biggest games, which excludes audiences in pubs/bars. A world cup final involving England would probably hit nearly 20 million people.

In Wales, we also have a small Welsh Language station called S4C who also broadcast Wales games in Welsh. Viewing figures may be around 50,000, but bear in mind all Wales games will also be in English on ITV. Some pubs and bars will have the Welsh language channel on, depending on demand, but English is generally shown. Total TV figures for Wales games in Wales normally exceed 1m people.
http://www.s4c.cymru/en/press/post/3128 ... lsh-sport/

Don't know if it was different for Wales but I seem to remember there being a big split between ITV1 and ITV4 last time out?

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Tue, 14 May 2019, 19:42

In Italy the negotiation is still open. Rumors say that RAI (state tv) is close to sign a deal.

Rugby on state television could be not a good thing for us Italian fans because most if not all the games would probably be shown by minor channel Rai Sport and maybe some games would not be shown at all. Anyway there's also the chance that Italy's matches may be transmitted by the main channels (Rai1, Rai2 or Rai3, also thanks to the morning kick off times) and this would be a good propaganda

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Tue, 14 May 2019, 20:13

In Brazil ESPN will show all 48 matches live (like in 2011 and 2015, which led to the creation of many clubs in Brazil... 2003 and 2007 were also shown by ESPN, but not all the matches)
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby Immenso » Wed, 15 May 2019, 03:34

In NZ; Quite big (disruptive) news for us.

RWC broadcasting rights bought by a telecommunicatons company rather than a broadcaster. Spark (which is the consumer half of the old legacy Telecom New Zeland which was forcibly split up by legislation a few years ago).

Spark have set up a streaming service to drive broadband subscriptions. The streaming service is literally just 1 or 2 months old at this stage.

Free to Air TV (TVNZ) have rights to just 12 of the 48 matches, of which only 7 are live and 5 are delayed by an hour. https://www.tvnz.co.nz/shows/rugby-worl ... h-schedule

Reasonably high expectation it could turn to custard like the Australian example with Optus and the 2018 Football World Cup. One of TVNZs minor channels set to pick up broadcasts if Spark can't technically handle it.

The last 2 RWC haven't been fully on FTA TV anyway here in NZ, rights with satelite TV company Sky with similar deal to show delayed coverage or partial coverage on FTA channels. But pay TV market penetration was already high by 2011. Where as currently we are still in the infancy of sport streaming.

I have bought my Spark RWC pass for NZD $60.

This RWC is actually in a good timezone for NZ.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Wed, 15 May 2019, 05:07

Fox Sports in Australia carries the right for the full tournament. The 10 Network will show select matches on free to air television, all the Wallabies matches, and some of the playoff games.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Wed, 15 May 2019, 07:07

In Germany Pro7Maxx has the rights to the World Cup.

As it is a FTA channel you probably find it in every tv app. If they don't show a game live, they will show it via ran.de on a livestream feed.
I think it is a good choice as this minor channel has become quite big in recent years due to making NFL big(ger) in Germany. Also they have some more important channels in the same company, which can cross-promote this basically unknown event in Germany.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

Postby FLIDTA RISXVA » Wed, 15 May 2019, 08:41

In Georgia it is 1TV - my channell = all 48 games LIVE

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby Thomas » Wed, 15 May 2019, 11:20

I may happen to be in Romania in September any information on TV channels?

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby iul » Wed, 15 May 2019, 12:22

In Romania the last two RWCs were on Digi Sport.I'm guessing this one will be as well. It's not free to air, but it's available to all Digi cable TV subscribers, which is about 70% of the market, so their reach is pretty good.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby Tobar » Wed, 15 May 2019, 12:44

victorsra wrote:In Brazil ESPN will show all 48 matches live (like in 2011 and 2015, which led to the creation of many clubs in Brazil... 2003 and 2007 were also shown by ESPN, but not all the matches)

ESPN seems to be the home for a lot of South America, especially Argentina. I believe Colombia will show it on ESPN as well but idk anyone who actually has that channel.

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby vino_93 » Thu, 16 May 2019, 04:59

In France, rights have been bought by TF1 group. All games will be live on their free channels - TF1 and TMC :)

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby NaBUru38 » Sat, 25 May 2019, 22:09

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_Rugb ... oadcasting

Timezones are terrible for Americas fans, not to mention the multiple midweek matches.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sat, 25 May 2019, 23:29

Tobar wrote:
victorsra wrote:In Brazil ESPN will show all 48 matches live (like in 2011 and 2015, which led to the creation of many clubs in Brazil... 2003 and 2007 were also shown by ESPN, but not all the matches)

ESPN seems to be the home for a lot of South America, especially Argentina. I believe Colombia will show it on ESPN as well but idk anyone who actually has that channel.

Yes, but ESPN Brasil (Portuguese language) and ESPN Deportes (Spanish Language) are different channels. We don't have here the Spanish channels and the broadcast rights are different. Sometimes ESPN buys rights for all its channels, sometimes just for one channel. The RWC rights ESPN Brasil has were bought separetely for Brazil.

Not sure how ESPN Depotes operates, but I believe they have different operations in Mexico and in Argentina, specially for rugby, that is very strong for Argentine audience. Not sure either if all Latin America (except Brazil) can watch all ESPN Deportes channels.

ESPN Brasil has 4 channels. The first one is dedicated 100% to Soccer+News, the second one is for soccer+other sports. Both are available in the cheapest subscriptions. The 3rd and the 4th channels only in the more expensive ones. Rugby usually in on the 2nd and 3rd channels. I hope most RWC matches will the in the 2nd (it probably will). However, the time zone will be really bad for audience. Matches will start 1AM and end 9AM... this means that live matches in the 2nd channel are not the most important thing. The most important thing is where and when they will show the reprises... thinking about new-to-rugby audience...
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

Return to Rugby Forum